Thursday, April 15, 2010

I am finishing up my first week of training in Green Construction & Energy. 

We were told the very first day that we would be sitting down with our assigned career counselors. At that meeting, I realized I really had made up my mind about what I wanted to accomplish at Mi Casa. I had set some realistic expectations, and with sincere dedication and hard work those expectations are within reach. Because it is not just about being able to handle power tools, or go off on some 'adventurous' trip, but to put myself in a position to move up a particular career path within a few years.  It's also about builiding a passion for my chosen field, and proving myself knowledgable in that field.  I am not just looking for a job. I am here for a career.

I also faced the risks I am taking with this effort.  A 43 year old black woman with 20 years title insurance experience will face great obstacles in the construction field.  Especially with that "I was young and stupid" felony from the early '80s that never raised its ugly head until this Great Recession.  There is also the very real possibility of physical pain and/or disability.  Still, I see the benefits as far overreaching the risks.  So I move forward.

This journey will not be at all easy. But every journey starts with the first step.  I have already taken mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

question? comment? leave it here....